Saturday, November 22, 2008

Grandpa Nelson

The phone rang at 7:00 this morning and Chris and I woke up to the news that my Grandpa Nelson had passed from this life into the next. He died this morning at 1:40, cause of death being lung cancer. He died with his loving wife right there by his side. She gave him kisses and continued to tell him how much she loved him as his spiritless body lay there. My grandfather was a true hero and a wonderful men and a loving grandfather. Larry Nelson served in World War II he was blown from his tank and passed out, when he came to he was surrounded by German soldiers, he pretended to be dead and when it was safe he was able to be reunited with our troops. Though he survived the war he was injured for life and never able to recover physically, but that didn't stop him from enjoying life. Grandpa had the most fun playing jokes and teasing all of us. He would pop he dentures out and scare us when our parents weren't looking and then deny it when we told them what happened. He always would whistle and I loved listening to him sing. Grandpa would click his tounge to get my girls attention and it always made them laugh and smile at him. I remember my grandfather giving blessings to me and prayers on behalf of our family. He was a great patriarch and will be greatly missed, but I do know that he no longer suffers physically and that he is with our Heavenly Father and his parents now! I am so grateful for the plan of salvation and for a loving Heavenly Father.

2 comments:

The Kahumokus said...

I LOVE your pictures. It made me smile to see him. I also thinks it's funny that we both remember the denture teasing so well.

Lindsay said...

I remember meeting him when we took that girl's trip to your cabin, and he was a very fun, sweet man. I'm sorry for you and your family's loss, and it's wonderful to know that the plan of salvation is true.